#whyiadvise

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:15 pm

The Beatles said it best: "You say you want a revolution. Well, you know, we all want to change the world." 

And as journalists and media advisers, that is what we strive to do, right? Sometimes, though, we burn out and get crushed by the overwhelming nature of our jobs. With advisers under fire, the media landscape changing, the bureaucratic red tape of higher education, and the general challenges of being a student media adviser, we sometimes forget WHY we chose this career. 

After speaking with advisers, both new and old, in Austin, it became apparent that we could all use a little pick-me-up. With the support of new CMA President Kelley Lash, I am collecting adviser success stories and starting a movement of positivity that will, hopefully, give us all a little recharge when we need it most. 

Introducing the #whyiadvise movement. This movement is simple. You can be a part of it in three ways:

1. Post short success stories to the members only listserv;

2. Email them to me directly at nicki.boudreaux@nicholls.edu;

3. Tweet about it! Be sure to hashtag #whyiadvise and tag either CMA (@collegetalk) or  (@NickiBoudreaux). 

These stories can be just a simple anecdote of how something you did in advising made a difference for a student, or an aha moment that reminded you why you do this job.

Just after the Austin convention, Jessica Clary shared a perfect #whyiadvise story with the listserv:

"Anthony DeVera, the EIC from Austin Community College, sought me out after his critique to tell me that this was worth the entire convention. Their paper, The Accent, had a critique session today with Kate McLaughlin from El Camino college. This student waited for me to have a spare moment, to thank me for being patient with his scheduling, and to tell me this was the most valuable part of the convention for his staff. I was standing near Randy Stano, who heard it too, and when Anthony walked away, I could have cried! Randy and I shared that moment of "Well, that's why we do this!”

Our vision is for the #whyiadvise movement to generate so many positive stories that we can use them to motivate both new and veteran advisers into the future. Stay tuned for more information on how this may be a part of the NYC16 Convention

Until then, let's start a revolution.

Best,

Nicki Boudreaux, MS

Director of Student Publications

Nicholls State University

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Twitter