NYC 16

Make plans now to attend the Spring National College Media Convention 2016, March 12-15 in New York City.

The Spring National College Media Convention offers 250 sessions, special events and activities that you just can’t get anywhere else. Just like the city itself welcomes you with attractions, landmarks, food, movie moments and more, College Media welcomes you to this experience of a lifetime.

Pre-conference Specialty Workshops begin March 12 and include the following lineup: 

Adobe Creative Foundations: Multimedia and Broadcast – This workshop will highlight key concepts and strategies to best use the software, including basic and intermediate video editing; creation of motion graphics, dynamic text and image compositing; media management and archiving; and a variety of time-saving tactics. Whether a novice or intermediate user, you’ll walk away with a strong foundation and techniques to take your productions to the next level. Presented by Herbert Dunmore, Loyola University, Maryland, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Black, White and Read All Over: Bringing Diversity to Action – This workshop isn’t a checkmark on the diversity training box. Achieving meaningful diversity and inclusion in both content and culture begins when this session ends. What you will walk away with is tools and a plan to help your organization start moving toward more inclusive coverage — and higher pick-up rates. Learn about how identity intersects with coverage, how newsrooms can foster positive and inclusive culture and how to network with student coalitions to be a catalyst for campus change. Presented by Jackie Alexander, Clemson University, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Jump OVER the Shark – Don’t let your great stories and visuals die on the printed page. Take it to the next level: incorporate multimedia elements so that your narrative steps up, not only in visual design, but in coherent storytelling and reader engagement. Presented by Gary Metzker, Cal State Long Beach, Wayne Kamidoi, The New York Times, and Sam Manchester, The New York Times, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Leadership Improvisation – Despite thousands of books on the subject, leadership is not easy to define, learn or teach. But these experienced advisers are here to help: They’re going to teach you about you. By getting to know yourself, your style and your motivation, you can become a more effective college media leader. This hands-on workshop will teach you how to focus on the ways you thrive and to bring out the best in those you work with in the newsroom, business office or broadcast station. You'll learn how to harness your leadership personality and help your staff be better journalists and co-workers – so that your organizations create better media. Along the way, you’ll improv your way through it-happened-to-me student media conflicts. Come with an open mind and few inhibitions to this fun, interactive session. Presented by Kelley Callaway, Rice University and Adrianne Harris, Roger Williams University, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Prepare NOW to Get That Media Job – Find out what you need to do NOW to apply for that first media job. And start taking steps in this hands-on workshop. Learn how to present your portfolio, your resume and your social media accounts. Write your “elevator statement.” Learn how tailor your resume for each job and how to handle each step of the hiring process. Learn how to beef up that Linked In account, how to make contact with pros and how to build skills that will make you more attractive to employers. Presented by Sacha Bellman, Miami University, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Writing and Reporting to Win an Audience – Tired of hearing that students on your campus are bored by news? Then banish the boring news article! Learn how to find, report and write great human stories (plus improve those that are “just the facts”) and build an assignment process that makes it all happen. Bring at least one copy of your newspaper for hands-on improvement. You’ll take boring articles and bring them to life. We’ll focus on what makes great stories and finding the courage to write them. And you’ll plan strong assignments to take home for your best writers (you, of course!) and your newbies. Presented by David Simpson, Georgia Southern University, 1:00-4:00 p.m.

Multimedia Storytelling Just Like at The New York Times – Josh Davis is an award-winning documentary journalist and educator who has led ambitious documentary and interactive projects for The New York Times, NPR and MediaStorm. He was a member of a special projects team at The New York Times, specializing in documentary video and interactive storytelling. At NPR, Josh produced and directed the groundbreaking interactive documentary, Planet Money Makes a T-Shirt – a project that won more than a dozen awards. Josh currently teaches courses in visual storytelling at NYU, Columbia and the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. During this pre-conference session, Josh will mentor attendees with hands-on multimedia training. Participants must bring their own gear for shooting video in the morning and video editing in the afternoon to produce a piece that highlights the sights and sounds of New York City. Presented by Josh Davis, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. with a lunch break. Please note the special start time of this session when you book your travel. 

A detailed convention schedule with breakout sessions with be posted in mid-February. For more information contact College Media Association at info@collegemedia.org or register NOW!