Two energetic, hard-working members of College Media Association—Steven Chappell and Theta Pavis—will join the CMA board later this year, CMA officials announced Monday.

CMA President Chris Evans appointed Chappell as treasurer and Pavis as vice president. The CMA board unanimously confirmed the appointments on Friday.

“We’re thrilled to have such dynamic media advisers step into two of our top leadership roles,” Evans said. “Steven is a committed CMA mainstay, with 25 years of advising experience, and Theta is one of our newest powerhouses.

“We couldn’t ask for a better team.”

Chappell will fill the treasurer’s role being vacated by Adrianne Harris, who has served two two-year terms as treasurer: the maximum number of terms allowed for an appointed position. Chappel’s initial appointment is for two years, Evans said.

Pavis has been appointed to fill a one-year vacancy created after the current vice president, Kenna Griffin, won election as president-elect earlier this year.

All three CMA board members—Chappell, Pavis and Griffin—are expected to be sworn into their respective new positions in October at the National College Media Convention in Louisville, Evans said. Board member Bryce McNeil will also be sworn in as he starts his second two-year term as board secretary.

In her full-time advising job, Pavis serves as director of student media at New Jersey City University in Jersey City, where she advises The Gothic Times newspaper, website and podcasts. She’s taught at Kean University in Union, New Jersey, and the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. She also served as interim student media adviser at UCLA.

A former newspaper reporter and magazine editor, Pavis has worked as a freelance writer, blogger and consultant to nonprofits focusing on women’s issues. She received her master’s degree from Columbia University’s graduate school of journalism.

Pavis has served on CMA’s elections committee and helped to oversee operations for the first-ever Iron Reporter competition this year at CMA’s spring convention in New York City.

“It’s an honor to serve CMA, which provides such a welcome home for media advisers across the country,” Pavis said. “Not only does the organization provide support for professionals, its innovative programming and awards give student journalists the kind of opportunities and training they need.”

Chappell serves as an instructor of mass media and director of student publications at Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville. He has been a media adviser and active member of College Media Association since 1993 and was a professional journalist for 10 years before advising college media.

He is also the founder of the Twitter feed @comminternships, which shares internship and entry-level openings in communication jobs across the globe.

“I have been actively involved in some way with CMA since joining in 1993, and this is just another exciting way I can contribute to college media and help promote the organization’s goals and mission,” Chappell said. “CMA has been a vital part of my professional life for more than 25 years, and I look forward to working with the rest of the board to keeping CMA vital to other media advisers for another 25 years and beyond.”

Pavis and Chappell will join the six-person board of active media advisers. For the 2018-2019 term, the board will consist of:

• Evans, as president;
  • Griffin, as president-elect;
  • Pavis, as vice president;
  • Chappell, as treasurer;
  • McNeil, as secretary; and
  • Allison Bennett Dyche, who will begin her second year as vice president for member services.

Both Harris and Kelley Lash, CMA past president, will be rotating off the board when their terms end in October.