Adviser Certification Sq Image

The Core Sessions:

Advising 101: Introduction to Advising. Whether you’ve been advising for six months or six years, you likely have been asked the question, what is an adviser? This session will help you better understand your role so you can help others better understand what you do and what you don't do. Topics include the role of the adviser and its challenges and the basics of advising. Presenters: Allison Bennett Dyche, news adviser at Appalachian State University and CMA’s Vice President of Member Training, and Bryce McNeil, director for student media at Georgia State University and CMA’s Past Secretary

Advising 102: Policies & Procedures. Every good program starts with a solid foundation. This session is a crash course in how to set policies and procedures for your student staff and operation. The presenter will address topics including operational guidelines, student leader selection procedures and bylaws for student media organizations. 

Advising 103: Budgets & Revenue. College media advisers often start their jobs knowing all about the journalism or the technological aspects of the job, but we don’t always know everything about the business side ... the part that pays the bills. This session will address a variety of topics including establishing ad rates, how to manage expenses and ways to find additional revenue. Presenters: Tami Bongiorni, assistant director of student media sales and client relations at Kent State University and College Media Business and Advertising Managers president

Advising 201: Recruiting, Training & Retaining. Student media doesn’t run without students. But it can be a struggle to recruit eager, talented, dedicated students, and to do it every year. In this session, the presenter will provide tips on recruiting and retaining a staff, developing leaders, incentivizing student media, and training a media staff. Presenter: Kenneth Burns, Student Media Coordinator, Northwestern State University 

Advising 202: Relationships on Campus. You’re the one stuck between a rock and a hard place… meaning between the student media staff and your administration. In this session, veteran advisers will discuss how to manage your student media outlet's image on campus by navigating campus politics and building alliances. Presenters: Rachele Kanigel, chair of the journalism department at San Francisco State University and former CMA president, and Kelley Lash, director of student media at Rice University and former CMA president

Advising 203: Connecting with Resources. Advising college media can sometimes feel really lonely. While there may not be many people on your campus who understand what you do, there are many people in the country who certainly do. This session will address resources available to advisers, the benefits of CMA and opportunities to network with your peers. Presenter: Chris Whitley, Director of Student Publications at Tarrant County College and CMA's President-Elect

Law 101 for Advisers. Learn the rights of your students as journalists and yourself as the adviser. This session will address how to protect yourself and your students through a fast-paced tour of legal basics. You’ll also get advice on how to get help if you need it. Presenter: Frank LoMonte, director of the Brechner Center for Freedom of Information at the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications

The Elective Sessions:

Creating Multimedia Content with Audience in Mind. How do you create multimedia content with a staff of students who are accustomed to only producing the written word? You learn to create good journalism and media content by consuming good media content. Also, you might need to recruit some fresh blood with different skill-sets. In this session, the presenter will show you examples of good multimedia content, discuss the process of how it was created and give you the roadmap on how to get started in your own media outlet. Presenter: Allison Bennett Dyche, news adviser at Appalachian State University and CMA’s Vice President of Member Training

Putting the Sacred Cow Out to Pasture. Broadly defined, if students are continuing a practice with no other justification than “this is how we’ve always done it,” it’s a sacred cow. Sacred cows can be good if you can get students to understand and appreciate the value of a tradition. But sacred cows are bad when there’s a better way to do things that’s not being explored. Either way, this session’s presenter will walk you through the steps of challenging your students to look critically at what they do and why they do it that way. Presenter: Bryce McNeil, director for student media at Georgia State University and CMA’s Past Secretary 

Setting Your Ethical Compass. As an adviser, you’re faced with plenty of the same situations your faculty or student affairs colleagues experience … plus so many more. But how do you handle situations for which there is no existing roadmap? We’ll discuss how to create and set your own ethical compass to guide you through such situations, and we’ll arm you with the questions to ask yourself when facing difficult decisions. Presenters: Allison Bennett Dyche, news adviser at Appalachian State University and CMA’s Vice President of Member Training , and Bryce McNeil, director for student media at Georgia State University and CMA’s Past Secretary

Inclusion in College Media. Beyond being the right thing to do, it’s crucial that college media advisers incorporate inclusive practices in every aspect of newsroom management and content creation. In this session we will discuss how diversity and inclusion impact audience engagement, newsroom culture and organizational mission. We’ll also share tips for moving the needle on inclusivity in both policy and practice. Presenter: Tamara Zellars Buck, student media adviser at Southeast Missouri State University and CMA’s vice president of member support

Adviser round table. Advising college media takes a village. While there may not be many people on your campus who understand what you do, your fellow advisers do. Come to this live session to ask questions and get support from other advisers completing the certification. Moderators: Allison Bennett Dyche, news adviser at Appalachian State University and CMA’s Vice President of Member Training, and Bryce McNeil, director for student media at Georgia State University and CMA’s Past Secretary

Past Electives:

Note: These electives are not offered for the January 2021 Certification

Newsroom Safety in the Age of COVID-19. As we plan to return to our campuses in the fall, or not, we need to rethink how our newsrooms are configured for in-person, hybrid and remote production of our student media. This session will be led by Steven Chappell, who has been tasked with doing just that for his student newsroom, which also doubles as a media lab for practicum classes, that are expected to meet in person this fall. This session will look at configurations for physical space, how to properly clean equipment and work spaces, expenses for doing so, student needs, resources for advisers and their students, and more. Presenter: Steven Chappell, director of student publications at Northwest Missouri State University and CMA Treasurer

Advising through Trauma. Covering traumatic events — death or near death experiences — is always a difficult assignment. The difficulty may be compounded for student journalists, whose age, proximity and relationship to the traumatic happening may make them more prone to experiencing emotional trauma as a result of that coverage. Learn how trauma coverage differs from other types of journalism, how to recognize the symptoms of emotional trauma and how to best support your student staffers through these difficult assignments. Presenter: Kenna Griffin, media training specialist at the University of Southern Indiana and CMA’s past-president, and Ngozi Akinro, Student Media Coordinator, Texas Wesleyan University